Friday, January 25, 2013

Reading stuff

When I used to watch movies (back before I had kids), I would (in my head) review them on two scales: the plot and my watch test. My watch test was simple and super unscientific: at any point during the movie, did I check and see how much longer until it was over? I might still like the movie's plot, but there is something to be said for a movie that is so consuming I never stop to wonder, "are we there yet?" (I don't count checking my watch to try to figure out if there is still enough time in the movie for the good guys to win because they are cutting it way too close and making me nervous. Or to see if I can wait until the end to go to the bathroom.) The book equivalent of the watch test is probably the "sitting on my Kindle or dresser for a crazy long time" test. (as opposed to the, wait?! I'm already at the end? I thought I was only 87% of the way through, Kindle! what the heck is happening for the other 13% of this book?!)

I just wanted to say, I've been reading Teach Your Children Well (NYTs review here) for nearly a hundred years. I don't know why it is taking me so long. I like the book. But holy slow motion reading. And I'd really like to finish it. Because next up is How Children Succeed. Which I'm also pretty excited to read. So my point is, Monday! I'm on it. There will be a review! Or not. But hopefully. And here is some other stuff I have been reading:

Wanting something makes you happier than actually having it

The science behind wanting to squeeze adorable things

Smoke-Free Law Linked to Large Fall in Child Asthma Hospital Admissions 

Gun advocates are right, we should compare guns to cars
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment